Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Day 9: Biggest Accomplishment in Teaching

The day I learned that my contract was being renewed signified my biggest accomplishment so far. This is the very first year I've returned to the same district, same school, same classes, even the same classroom!

For lateral entry teachers, getting that first contact renewal is like reaching the peak of a mountain. On average, it takes 5 years to get through a teacher program, internship, student teaching, and into a full-time job. Then you bounce from long-term substitute position to leave replacement position, until you land your first real job.

I started the process in 2008, it is 2014 now. That's six year worth of support from my family, six years of "maybe they'll find another position for you when this runs out," six years of good observations but no renewed contracts.

That's why this year is such an accomplishment for me! I know this mountain is only a small hill in a long chain of peaks, but from where I stand, I feel like I'm on Everest. Now I just have to try not to spill my coffee as I scramble up the next slope!


No comments:

Post a Comment