Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Day 12: Envisioning Change over Next 5 Years

Personally, I envision improvement. I'm still new enough in my career that I struggle to plan, assess, and research in time to teach effectively. Lots of late nights, hence the spill-able coffee. I envision becoming more adept at diversifying instruction, and supporting the low and high ends of the class better.

Professionally, I envision changes to the profession itself: strict assessments for student; metrics for educators; union strength wavering (but hopefully regaining strength!); and continued turmoil for urban schools. The political and economic realities of this country have become very stark and separatist, leaving the middle class unsupported and vulnerable. Unionized professions like teaching form the backbone of a strong middle class. If  unions loose strength, the middle class will suffer. I think we'll know that the country's dire economic situation has turned around when we see strong support for professions that embrace union culture. I hope we'll come out of  the scrutiny and forced changes as better educators, and profession will be stronger as a whole. If the PARCC and Union-busting Governors don't kill us.


No comments:

Post a Comment